Thursday, October 22, 2009

We just returned from getting the triplets flu shots. I told them before we went they were going to the Dr to get a flu shot and Big E says "I don't want a flu shot". I said it won't be any big deal, they will give you a band aid when they are done. He says, It will hurt. I said no, it will be OK. Aubrey just had her shots, remember. Big E looks at me like I am a dork and says "She cried, Mom!". OK, you got a point there. So I said, "What if we take your Nemo band aids and they can use them when they are all done?". Everyone agreed and we were off to the Drs office. Bitty Beans fell asleep before we left so Justin stayed home with her. Thank goodness, I didn't want to take her into the clinic. Everyone in Broken Bow has the H1N1 virus and the less exposure at this point the better. I pull up to the clinic and tell the boys to wait in the car. I will go in and tell them we are here and they can call my cell to tell me when they are ready for us. I don't want the boys in the waiting room. Since it's one o'clock we are the first patients and with the snow everyone else canceled so the place is empty. I go get the boys and I say "People have been really sick and there are lots of germs in here so if you can just keep your hands at your side we won't get the germs". I don't care, I don't want to deal with four kids pucking, having diarrhea, and doing breathing treatments all at the same time. Been there done that, no thank you. I'll take precautions!
So the nurse comes in and says "Who wants to be first?". Kaiden says Big E, Big E says Tehl and Tehl says, no Kaiden, Everett go first! So I grab Big E and say it's OK buddy you can go first and then you will be all done. I help him get his britches down and fold his arms across his chest then hug him. He is sitting up on the table and when the nurse gives him his shot I thought he was going to squeeze through my hold to the ceiling like a mouse through a tiny hole. He recuperates and I try to get Kaiden. Kaiden has planted his feet in the ground and keeps saying Tehl is next. Tehl has a death grip on his waist band and says "I don't want a flu shot, KiKi can go!". Finally I am able to get Tehl on the table with his little leg exposed and I do the same hold with him. This kid can kick like a mule and before I know it the nurse is on the other side of the exam room and I am too! Not only did he kick her back he broke through my hold and was able to push me backwards. As I am tripping over Everett who is sitting in the chair still crying I see some blood on Tehl's leg where the needle went in straight and came out very crooked. I think "great I'll never be able to hold him now he has felt the needle!" Just then another nurse who has heard the commotion comes in and holds his legs while I hold his upper body again. We get it this time and Tehl is glad to be done. I have to lift Kaiden's pant leg up because he will NOT let me pull his pants down. He was not impressed that she could access his leg from the bottom of his pant leg and he kept looking down trying to figure out how it happened! Kaiden held very still and except for the blood curtailing scream he let out for the entire length it took to get the vaccine in he did good. Now I am thinking what do I do with all these crying boys!? The nurse says "Do you want to get a sticker?". They all quit crying, get up and walk out the door like they have a leg brace on their right leg. I am walking behind laughing at the site of all of them stiff legged. By the time we get to the middle of the hall they are running to the stickers and all tears are gone. They did great and we made it through it. I am glad it's over and I don't know if I like that I have become a professional "child restrainer" for shots. At least I can hug them and hold them when it's all over. Now to keep the flu and the H1N1 virus at bay...

1 comment:

  1. At least you were honest about what was happening. Last Monday, NPPD gave shots to employees and family-but not under 16. So we go first thing in the morning, before dropping off Chase. Tell him that Mom and Dad are getting shots so we dont get sick-but that he doesnt need one right now. He is very happy with that. I had been calling all over town and they are out. The nurse hears me telling one of Joels coworkers this, and i say I wish you would give him one. She looks at the label and says "it is approved for 4 and up....how old is he?" This was one time Chase didnt speak up and say proudly-"I"M 4!", instead he cowers against me. I say, great give it to him. Joel gets the holding part, and they gave it in his arm. He cries, and then all of Joels coworkers say it was Joel when we walk out of the room. He was pretty good, i got mine just as he got his, so i didnt see it. I dont think we had a wrestling match, dad did okay, and he was better by the time we got to the car. Just yesterday he grabs his arm "where my shot go?" I dont think that any of them will forget this too quickly.

    ReplyDelete