Monday, October 19, 2009

This morning as I am unloading the kids from the car to the stroller at the grocery store a little old lady comes walking over to me. You can tell she is counting kids and taking it all in. All I can think is, I just need some milk. She says "this just fascinates me" and her eyes are sparkling. This catches me off guard and I'm not sure what to do. She clutches her chest as her eyes water up and she says I was a triplet also. Now I am fascinated! She said she was born in August of 1926 and one of the triplets did not survive. I asked how much she weighed when she was born and she said all of them together weighed about 7 and 3/4 pounds. That is close to mine, who weighed 7.82 pounds. I can not fathom having triplets without the help of the NICU, the nurses, the hospital, the close friends and family that helped us through it all. She said she had two older sisters that were 8 and 9 yrs old when they were born and they remember putting the surviving triplets in shoe boxes and sliding them under the stove to keep them warm. In August! Can you imagine having to keep a fire in your kitchen in August? We were both bombarding each other with questions it was so neat to talk to her. And then someone screamed and the other hit them so we walked into the store to continue our grocery shopping. I just wish I would have gotten her name, I asked a lot of questions and didn't ask her name! What a dork, I should have introduced myself and I didn't even think of it. What a very cool encounter. :)

1 comment: