Monday, December 14, 2009

It seems as though if I am going to have an "experience" it is going to happen in the grocery store since that is the only place I frequent. On Friday I am shopping for last minute items for a Christmas party I am hosting. I notice the streets are a mess with the sun on the ice and snow and opt to leave the triplet stroller since it sets on a hitch on the back of the suburban and will get full of mud. I get the kids loaded into two carts and we start our shopping. Kaiden and Tehl are sharing a cart and Tehl who is in the back keeps pulling on the hood of Kaiden's coat and choking him. So for time out in the grocery store I make Tehl get out and walk. I know most kids would think "freedom!" but not Tehl. He HATES walking and is mad that he has been taken from the cart when everyone else is still riding. I make it to the juice isle and have Kaiden's cart in front of me, Aubrey is riding in the front of the next cart and Everett in the back. Everett has been sharing my cup of hot tea, which is no longer hot because we have spent so much time in the store. As I am facing the juice to decide which flavor we want I hear on my right a trickling sound. I look over and the tea is spilling. I reach over the cart to stand the cup up at the same time Tehl grabs my legs and says "I just can't walk anymore Mom!" yet over him I hear "OW IE MOMMY, OWIE, OWIE, IT HURTS" I still haven't reached the cup so, by now it's contents are all over the floor. I turn around to see Kaiden and his head is stuck. Yes, he is still sitting in the front of the cart and yes his head is stuck between the cart handle and the frame of the cart. I am astonished and annoyed at the same time so I say "you dork, what are you doing?!" Just then I see an elderly couple making their way up the isle trying to take everything that has happened in and my comment. I decided I need to compose myself because I am starting to laugh hysterically at poor Kaiden who is now turning a different shade of grey because I am in shock he even got his head through there. I tell him "you got your head in there, just pull it out" so I grab his head and try to help him and there is not budging it! I look up at the couple who are now next to me and I say "ummm... I'm not sure what to do, but go to the butter isle and grease his head because I am not going to be on the front page of the paper with headlines reading "Jaws of Life saves child from shopping cart". The elderly man says well, I'll hold his head and you lift his butt up to put his body in a straight line. I go to lift his butt up and Kaiden gets a bronc riders hold on the cart with his legs! There is not lifting him, but the man starts pulling his head in anticipation of me lifting his butt. I am laughing so hard and trying to contain it that the lady rubs my back and says "It will be OK sweet heart we will get him out. Everything will be fine". OK I really have to get it together. So I tell Kaiden it's OK I just need to lift his butt up and I will hold him. The kids hates heights and doesn't like to be in the air. So finally we get synchronized and his head pops out of the cart. I put Tehl back in, get the juice, clean up the spill, and thank the couple. We finish our shopping with me laughing out loud the rest of the store and I am sure people thought the woman with four kids laughing to herself has lost it! My kids are so much fun! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Next time call me and I'll got with you if I can.
    Nicolle

    ReplyDelete