So I didn't win "Mother of the Year" this morning. I thought I did. I tried. I was on a roll...till my husband called and simply said "did you forget someone?" "What??"
It's Monday morning and we are headed out the door to school. As the kids are filing out behind me Aubrey asks "Mom, can I wear my tennis shoes to school" "yes, just hurry up and get them on." I fail to remember that there is no hurrying when a 7 year old is used to slamming her feet into her favorite pair of boots and getting out the door. She is now in the entry by herself and trying her hardest to tie her shoes. The triplets are getting into the van and I am taking a pan of cinnamon rolls to the vet shack (a small building where the guys gather in the morning to have coffee and discuss the days plans). I drop of the rolls tell them good luck as they gather pairs to sort off the fall calves and ship them. I head to the van, hop in and head down the road to school. The kids are watching a movie and I am going through in my mind what needs to be done as I get back to the house with no kids there to tend to. We cross the 10th cattle guard and my phone rings. As my husband asks if I forgot someone, I think to myself "he is so confused" at the same time I am adding up kids' heads in my rearview mirror. "Oh my gosh, I forgot Aubrey!!!" I hit the breaks do a U-turn and head back to the ranch. The triplets are dumbfounded and cannot figure out what is going on. I ask them all if there is anyone missing and they kinda look around and say "no, why?" Finally, Kaiden realizes the seat next to him is empty and he says "oh, geez Mom, you left Aubrey". Thank you Kaiden, thank you very much for telling me now that we are just about to school!
Needless to say she was not impressed that I left her. She wasn't surprised either. She said "well, Mom it's not the first time you've left us". It was embarrassing to say the least to tell the teacher this morning that the kids were late due to my mistake. Thankfully she just laughed and understood. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment